Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A good morning in August


As I look out from my virtual cottage in the middle of a huge forest and on the banks of a lake--I wish. Someday I'll show you where I really live.

But, as we're in virtual reality, the virtual cottage by the lake is my idea of a great place to write. If I really had such a place would I get any writing done? Or, would I be so busy looking at the scenery and listening to the birds that I'd forget why I was there. Hmmm. Anyway, I thought I'd post a picture of my virtual landscape at sunset.

My novel, "In the Arms of the Enemy" is being re-released (with a face-lift) on September 22nd. Always an exciting time. I'm working up a marketing plan. Posting to this blog is only one of a list of marketing strategies in my growing arsenal. Who out there is marketing your book? Want to share ideas?

Let's start with libraries. I've had some success in selling "Arms" to five of the local libraries. As soon as this new edition comes out, I'll spread out a bit. What about book signings at libraries? Do you think that might work?

Booktore signings can be a great tool. Except they can be hit or miss. If you pick a day where many people come; or if you already have a following who will visit and buy, it can be great. Even if it's not a great day for you, still, getting your name and book out there can have results you'll never see. Except in future sales. Word of mouth works wonders.

In the Arms of the Enemy" is a story aboutone seedy aspect of the racing industry and how it effects the people around them. More about that tomorrow.


Since "Arms" takes place in the horse world, I chose to have book signins during a "Vet day" when most of the barn borders came out and brought food. Many also bought books. I also held a book signing at a dog obedience seminar. Both of these events were successful for me. Both made sales of 8-10 books.

Surprisingly, a local "Author Fest" didn't fare quite as well. I sold three books
and bought three. Hmm. I don't think it's supposed to work that way.


I hope everyone is having a great writing day. Love to have a discussion about creative ways you've found to sell your book.

So long for now, friends. Have a good one.

pg

2 comments:

Jeannine Garsee said...

Yay, I got in! Best of luck to you, Pat!
xx Jen

Unknown said...

Thanks Jen. I'm glad you got in.
Hope you come around often and visit.

pg