Thursday, January 24, 2008

My writing, my insomnia and new exercises with the help of three collies

Alicia Rasley "The Story Within Guidebook" took a wonderful Winston Churchill quote, I'd like to share. I believe most writers out there would agree.

"Writing is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement. Then it becomes a mistress, then it becomes a master, then it becomes a tyrant. the last phase ist hat just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster and fling him to the public."

--Winston Churchill

At least I agree. It has become a monster I'm flinging to the public. The monster isn't within the story, however, the monster is within me. I want to write. I need to write. I can't leave it alone. The story must come out.

I've finally become committed to a story I wrote back in the last century. Makes me sound old doesn't it? I wrote Legacy in the late 90's, the second novel I wrote. It wasn't very good. I thought it was great. Actually, what was mainly wrong with it (there were many things) was I had way too many characters. Then, I didn't know what I wanted it to be. I'd took one of those characters and turned her into a villain in another novel. Yeah me. I'm proud of myself. Legacyh has gone through three complete rewrites. I think the one I have now will stay. I will NOT write another version.

The interesting thing about Legacy though, through the years when I've made changes and stalled, I wrote something else. One of those books, In the Arms of the Enemy was published in 2007 and the second Waterlillies Over My Grave will come out in the spring of 2008.

I'm determined to finish Legacy and determined to find just the right title. It will come.

Funny thing though, I've already outlined the NEXT story. It will go back to the horse line.

I hope everyone has had breakfast this morning. I exercised instead. yes, I did. I discovered with my new schedule I' m up to two in the morning. Of course, I'm unable to work that late, so I go around looking for stuff to eat. Last night at one in the morning I headed to my 7-Eleven and bought three chocolate candy bars, one banana, a blueberry muffin and a cake donut with chocolate frosting. I guess I needed a chocolate fix.

I am an insomniac. You say most writers are, right? Well, really, you might be right. Many are. Not all, but many. My problem is I can't work. I just tense up and tose and turn. Last night it was two tylenol pm's and a Tamazapam. If my shrink is purusing this blog, YOU DIDN'T READ THAT.

Then of course, my dogs got me up at 5:30 to tell me they had an accident. Guys you could have told me BEFORE you had an accident. Out they went. I had a cup of coffee and a cake donut with chocolate frosting watching them do their thing. I was too sleepy to know what their thing was. THEN we all went back to sleep until ten. We all went out again. Actually, I let them out, I stayed in. This time I had my blueberry muffin and coffee and medications. Don't ask. You don't want to know.

I actually exercised this morning. My old ballet bar exercises holding on to the kitchen counter. The dogs helped. Ever have a collie help you with your ballet exercises? It's an experience.


THIS IS MARIAH (BRUMAR'S DREAMWEAVER) THE MOMMY OF MY EXCELLENT LADY ROXANNA OF BRUMAR, BETTER KNOWN AS "ROXI."

My diet during the day isn't bad really. Usually it's oatmeal, cereal with fruit or eggs with an English muffin--or pancakes. I'm addicted to pancakes. Sandwhich for lunch and a Maria Callendar for supper. An English muffin before bed. When the insomnia hits, that's when I hit the refrigerator. Heaven help me.

My crit partner who lives in Missouri will be tackling the first ten chapters of legacy this week. I'm working on eleven and hope to have the next five polished. Those still arent' the ones though that need the complete rewrite. I wanted to go back and refresh my memory as to what has come before. that will determine what those missing chapters will be like.

Peace to all and happy writing or whatever it is you do. I wish you love and success.

Patricia Guthrie

Proud mama of:
In theArms of the Enemy (2007)
Waterlillies Over My Grave (2008 Spring) Yes, you can spell it two ways.

AND OF: FOUR COLLIES AND A HORSE

No comments: