Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Where I work

On so many of the writing groups I'm on, one group discussion question keeps popping up. Where do you all work? I've just discovered where I work, and I'm going to share this with you.

Having a laptop frees me up quite a bit. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is, I can work any place I want. For instance, I have three work areas in my house.
The first is the desk, which is located in the corner of my kitchen, right near the refrigerator and the coffee pot. See where this is heading? How many pounds have I gained? Where do I keep my chocolate?

The second is the couch that has a fairly decent size coffee table. Lots of room to sprawl. Lots of room for the dogs to get on my lap, noses on the computer. Just a hand reach away from the
remote and the chocolate. See where this is heading?

The third, for real cold days, is my bed. Now my bed is a double size with plenty of room to spread out my work for the day. My light therapy lamp is on the bed-side table. That's a good thing. My telephone (the one with the long cord) is right by my bed. The remote and the chocolate is just a hand reach away. Alex, being the old gentleman he is, sprawls on the floor to the right of me, pulling out the cord to the therapy lamp and knocking it over, Roxanne trying to get on the bed, but not succeeding and Zuri who does succeed and insists on sleeping on my lap. Ever try to type on a computer with your dog on your lap? See where this is heading?

Maybe I should just go to the library.

Oh good news. The Smithtown Messenger printed the press release for In the Arms of the Enemy back in September. The editor forgot to tell me. His assistant was wonderful. She went to look it up. She's sending me a copy today.

So now I have an article in the Lynbrook Herald, Smithtown Messenger, Chicago Teacher's Union and soon a review from the Daily Journal in Kankakee.

Also: in case you're in the area, come visit me at: The Book Cellar on Lincoln Avenue in Chicago, tomorrow at seven. for an "open mic" at the Borders in Mt. Prospect on Saturday Jan 19 at 7 pm, Borders in Matteson on Jan 25th at 7 pm, a book signing at the Barnes and Noble in Orland Park on Feb 9 from 11-2 (Cicero and Lincoln Highway) an open mic at Oak Lawn Public Library on Feb 23rd at 1:00, a local author's afternoon at the Park Forest Public Library on Lakewood Street in Park Forest from 1-4. All locations are in Illinois.

Another piece of good news, Water Lilies Over my Grave will be out this Spring.

So, now what are you all doing? Have a cup of coffee, a virtualy blueberry muffin from my oven and tell me about it.

Cheers
Pat
Proud mama of: In the Arms of the Enemy and Water Lilies Over my Grave

No comments: