Friday, May 2, 2008

What to do when suffering writer's block, marketing block and just block

Good morning fellow, writers authors and readers, horse people, dog people and just people.

come on in, pour yourself some coffee and help yourself to a blueberry muffin.

It's raining. Thunder boomers are rumbling overhead and we're do for some nasty ones today. It's a great day to blog, check on other's blogs and find new places to advertise your book. Or, watch TVG and ESPN and find out everything you can about the Kentucky Derby tomorrow.

So, what'swith the subject title? Well, yes. I admit it. I have that empty, black feeling in the pit of my stomach that always accompany a "writer's block." I don't really believe in writer's block per say, but I do believe you can get burn-out and/or depressions that can last for months.

So, what to do: Work through it. Hmm. When I do that, I get the worst garble I could possibly write. Take a power nap. Naps used to be hard, now they come easier, but they don't cure what ails me. Read a good book. Funny about that. When I don't grasp on to the writing, I don't feel like reading either. Take a walk. Eeewww.

Sometimes I have to wait it out. And, I come back stronger than before. Sometimes I'll go back and edit other things I've written. That usually works too--because that usually means a deadline. I don't miss deadlines. Not unless I'm flat on my back.

There's also buying a horse. That's my proposed plan this time.

Do I mention taking a power nap?

Ooops, thunder storm. Gotta go.

Cheers

pg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just took an enjoyable tour through yout entire blog!! I drank coffee, finished off the muffins and now I could use some lunch!! I think your blog is one of the most interesting and pleasant to browze through from the many I've seen so far. I know the feeling of "looking across at a ghost." People visit me at my lonely generic blog--no coffee, no muffins and don't even leave rude comments!!I think most people are either hurried or shy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Just another lonely blogger waiting for someone to ring the bell and drop in--heck I might even offer a passibly good red wine!

Keep blogging!

Micki

Roses and Lilacs said...

I know this is an old post but I wandered onto it and found it very interesting.

We have love of horses in common. This posting really caught my eye because I've just started writing. No blocks yet--probably don't have to worry about that until I get past the outline stage;)

Very interesting blog site.
Marnie