Sunday, December 21, 2008

New website and character flaws


Hi all.

First off, I have my new (and old) website up now. The web address is the same:
www.patriciaanneguthrie.com. You'll find some added pages, some pages that are no longer there--but will be added as time allows. I hope you enjoy the site. There will be a page for the writings of other authors. short stories, articles, poems or excerpts from books. I will be rotating them as I get new ones. Please have the works polished, after all this is another venue for your work and you NEVER KNOW who may read the website and/or blog. Also, as you enter the site, would you kindly add a "hello" onto the guest book. The link for that is on the front page.

Second: I figured out why I like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I'm starting the whole series over. Yep, from the beginning. (I haven't read 14 yet. I'm hoping to get it for Christmas, if not that, I'll wait until it's on Kindle)
I love these books because her characters are so flawed and human, and they make their way through life getting around those flaws, or picking themselves up from the mistakes they make along the way.

Now, you may say, "I knew that." So did I. But, I realized I wasn't fully utilizing this to the fullest in my own characters. No, the story doesn't have to be funny (although I read funny pretty well) My suggestion would be to list the characters flaws either before writing the story or soon after. That way, in your first draft you can already be adding situations that might not arise if you didn't know your characters that well.

I think that might be what I've been waiting for in my third book "Legacy" (temporary title)I'm missing several middle chapters, but I'm still dwelling on something that's missing in the characters. (Like not enough pepper or garlic in a stew.)

It's freezing here in the Midwest. Minus two. Windchill of minus 35. The wind is howling outside, and I'm out of hot chocolate, tea, and almost out of milk. Am I going out in this? Nope.

Cheers.

Pat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Someοnе in my Fаcebook gгoup shаrеd
this site wіth uѕ so I сame to give it а
look. І'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm boοk-mаrking anԁ will
be tωeеtіng thiѕ tο mу followers!
Wοnderful blog and wonderful design аnd style.


Feel frеe to surf to mу webpagе - same day loans
my web site > same day loans

Anonymous said...

tramadol generic tramadol no prescription cod - buy tramadol from usa