Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Smokey

Hi all,

It's Jan 30, almost the end of the first month of 2013.

So much has been going on in the horse front that I haven't had much time for anything else.

Smokey does have EPM. His new SAG test confirmed those nasty little protozoas were alive, well
and active in his system. Fortunately, he doesn't have many clinical symptoms, and his muscle enzyme test
came back negative. There's little ataxia present in his hind quarter, occasionally a shuffle in his back feet. But the slight tilt in his neck, which he can correct, is still present.

I've given him a new medication, Oroquin 10. The brand name is Decoquinate, which is combined with Levamisole. We're almost finished with his
ten day regime, and I'm hoping those little buggers will be sent to bugger heaven once and for all.

Meanwhile, I haven't been doing much riding. Lunging and some light riding, but not so much because of
Smokey, but because I haven't felt up to it. As far as the "Smoksters" goes, well, I have high hopes that
this can be eradicated.

The above is Smokey enjoying the sunshine.

I had high hopes for Smokey as a western pleasure horse. I'm not sure about that now. Maybe we'll both just retire into the sunset
even before our "pleasure" career begins. He's got a wonderful dispostion and a kind heart. If a horse has a soul, and I believe they
do, he has a wonderful one. One of God's creatures. There are plenty of wonderful trails across the street, not to mention the huge field
in the back of the barn. We rode out there last summer--a lot.

Me? Maybe I ought to concentrate on getting back into my writing again. It may well be about time.

pg

No comments: