Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Waterlilies Over My Grave has a new review.

A Ripping Good Yarn!, February 19, 2013

By Irma Fritz "Author" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Waterlilies Over My Grave (Kindle Edition)
Psychologist Annie O'Brien finds refuge in the idyllic resort town of Lake Niger, Wisconsin, where she plans to rebuild her life after a miscarriage and divorce from her renowned psychologist husband. But the anonymity and peace she hoped to find dwindles on day one at her new job at Lake Niger Medical Center. A call from a psychopath, who can be no other than her ex-husband Dr. Duncan Byrne, and the realization that what she'd been suspecting for some time has now come true: Duncan has gone insane.

As Annie tries to concentrate on her work of counseling her first patient, Police Officer Mark Driscoll, who killed a young boy in the line of duty, she finds him most uncooperative. And before too long, the tables are turned on her. The highly competent and professional doctor becomes the victim. Needing police protection, she finds it now hard to accept help from the very man who had refused hers.

I did not think that the switches from third person point of view to first person served the story well. In addition, with New York and Wisconsin protagonists, the Briticisms, such as "bloody hell," "motor out," and "sort it out," pulled me out of the story. Then there is Annie's refusal to cooperate with Office Driscoll for her own good. Some of it is explained by her love/hate relationship with him, and by silly misunderstandings that ensue, but often her actions seem out of character for a mature and educated professional woman.

But these are minor quibbles. As the hunter closes in on his prey, the author does a good job of keeping the tension wires stretched tight.

And following the old saw of what's good for the goose is good for the gander, I will now feel free to use a Briticism of my own: Waterlilies Over My Grave is a ripping good yarn!

I appreciated the five stars Ms. Firtz gave this book. It was a labor of intense love for the characters, and I guess I did impose some Briticisms. I have NO IDEA where they came from. Probably the years I lived in Europe. But, I never lived in England, so I'm not sure.

1 comment:

Micki Peluso is the author of "And the Whippoorwill Sang" said...

I read and loved this book and reviewed it. I have to disagree with the reviewer on several points. The tense changes were done correctly, the language fit the book as America is a melting pot of all manner of witticisms.