Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Retirement? Creating a Writing Group

Sometimes past histories repeat themselves in different ways. 

Retirement is great, but I don't think you can ever leave what you were meant to do. 
With me? Well, the horses stayed the same. I still have a horse and still ride, even though not as often as I once did.

I'm singing again. Opera, church choir to teaching back to church choir. 

I'm back to sorting out past novels and trying to bring them up to "snuff." 

I'm also refreshing my writing craft and taking over a successful writing group that was on AOL for many years. The past owner and administrator retired and handed over the reins. To me. 

This is only the first week. I've known about it for a month, of course. Trying to get my head into a new venture took some time. Actually, implementing the new job, bringing back old members, hanging on to present and active members scared me a bit. I shouldn't have worried. The active members are enthusiastic and full of rich ideas. 

For a long time, we've had great workshop presenters who teach different aspects of the writing craft. We will still continue along those lines, but add some new interactive activities. Like what? Round robin brainstorming sessions, prompts followed by everyone writing a paragraph or two, fixing problems in our novels and stories, discussing topic ideas that haven't already been discussed, marketing ideas, new ways to create conflicts. The list can go on and on. 

I, for one, am excited. 

For now, we're in an AOL chat room. I hope to find a room that will incorporated writers who come from other providers. 

I heard from somebody that Verizon just bought AOL. Anyone hear that? I think I will Google and find out for sure. I haven't seen any official announcements yet. 

If anyone has any ideas for an online writing workshop, please leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. 

Have a great day--writing, reading, working, or just enjoying life. 

Cheers. 

pg  

No comments: