Wednesday, October 17, 2018

PRESENTING YOUR LITERARY TODDLER INTO THE WORLD


PRESENTING YOUR LITERARY TODDLER INTO THE WORLD

PRESENTING YOUR LITERARY BABY TO THE WORLD

Morning:

I’m a writer. See photo of me at a writer’s conference in 2008. I forget where.

My writing life, now, is dedicated to finishing the re-edits of LEGACY OF DANGER, updating and finding neat things to put into the blog and content, reading/reviewing and constantly upgrading my technical skills. (oh yes, also finding my creative spirit, which seems to escape me from time-to-time.) and, another oh MARKETING.  GASP! I’m horrible at that.

I have found some resources for marketing.  My website is WordPress–and I use Blue Host to host all my hosting needs. (do you hear an echo?)

Here’s my thoughts on marketing.  
 
It’s not easy going from an unknown author to a known author. Tell me something I don’t already know, you may well ask.

I ask friends, relatives strangers what they’re reading I get the big names. “Did you read Patterson’s latest?”  “I’m reading ….” (fill in Have you read Patricia Guthrie’s latest novel? Answer (if it’s not a friend or relative “Who’s that?”  Hmm.  Or if it is a friend or relative. “How did you like WATERLILIES OVER MY GRAVE?” Answer–body language, shuffling of feat, looking a way, clearing of throat, “Oh, I’ve bought your book, but I’ve been so busy, I haven’t had time to look at it. Besides I have to finish Stephen King’s ZOO. Have you read that? You really should.”  I walk off with a stomach full of disappointment and discouragement. Probably won’t write today.  Sad, but there it is.

When you’re unknown, how can you make anyone understand that your story might–just might–be a hell of a good read? They may fall in love with you (as an author, that is) your characters, plot, setting
and so forth. In fact, they might be missing a whole world of literature. So there! I’ve said it. I gave up at least once on writing–but writing never gave up on me. There’s something in my nature that tells me to “write the next one.” Was that my brain or my publisher speaking?  So with feet planted firmly on the ground and getting pulled by my temperament I forge ahead. Again.

So, what do we do next after the book is “put to bed.”  LEGACY OF DANGER needs re-editing. I had it pulled from Amazon. Sometimes, the story might be good (or not) but the editing sucks.

So, next? I’m thinking about writing about episodes in a retirement home. That sounds like fun. 
 
Have a good one. 

NOTE GO VOTE. IT’S ALMOST THAT TIME.ement

No comments: